Ashwagandha supplement is used for a variety of health concerns, including:
- Stress: Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb, which means it helps the body adapt to stress. It is thought to reduce cortisol, the stress hormone, and promote relaxation.
- Anxiety and depression: Ashwagandha is believed to have anxiolytic and antidepressant effects, possibly by modulating levels of neurotransmitters like GABA and serotonin.
- Cognitive function: Ashwagandha may improve memory, attention, and other aspects of cognitive function, possibly by reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain.
- Immune function: Ashwagandha has been shown to stimulate immune cells and improve immune function, possibly by increasing levels of certain cytokines.
- Hormone balance: Ashwagandha may help regulate hormones like cortisol, testosterone, and thyroid hormones, which can affect mood, energy, and other aspects of health.
It is important to note that while ashwagandha has been traditionally used for these purposes and there is some preliminary scientific evidence to support its use, more research is needed to confirm its effectiveness and safety for these uses. As with any supplement or medication, it is important to talk to a healthcare provider before starting ashwagandha, especially if you have any underlying medical conditions or are taking any medications.